Local News kindly sponsored by: DANNEVIRKE
Wednesday 13th September
600 tins of paint, 400 old televisions, 200 computers and stereos, a dozen carseats and a half-tonne of batteries were disposed of at the Waipukurau Transfer Station on Saturday.
The Central Hawke's Bay District Council offered residents the chance to offload unwanted hazardous and e-waste via the Hazmobile.
Queues of cars stretching over 500m along Mt Herbert Road saw Council staff and volunteers kept busy assisting with the collection.
Over 370 residents took advantage of the free offer, which also saw four
400 litre drums of of poisons and nearly 1000 litres of waste oil also collected.
Waipukurau Fire Brigade members helped with traffic management and unloading waste, and Chief Fire Officer, Steve Walker, said it was good getting the paint and unknown chemicals out of people’s sheds.
The waste, normally destined for the landfill, will be recycled where possible, with all the hazardous poisons and chemicals will be disposed of safely.
Adults and parents with children at Waipukurau Primary School are being asked to check their immunisation status following a confirmed case of Mumps at the school.
Medical officer of Health Dr Rachel Eyre said Mumps is a highly infectious viral infection, spread by breathing, sneezing and coughing.
She said people with Mumps may suffer swelling of testicles or ovaries, hearing loss, breathing difficulties and rarely, brain inflammation.
Dr Eyre said people who suspect they or their child is developing a fever or has swelling of glands around the cheeks or jaw, to phone their GP or Healthline.
The DHB has sent a letter home to parents of Waipukurau School students advising them that if they aren't immune there is a risk of passing the infection on to others even before developing symptoms.
Dr Eyre said it is Ministry of Health policy for non-immune adults and children to stay away from school, work or community gatherings until 26 days after last exposure.